The Göttingen physicochemical institute


Directors of the old Göttingen physicochemical institute (1895 - 1971)


Click for large picture

The Göttingen physicochemical institute founded by Nernst in 1895

Location: Göttingen, Bürgerstraße 50

Source of photograph: Friedrich Dolezalek. Das Institut für physikalische Chemie. In: Die physikalischen Institute der Universität Göttingen. Festschrift im Anschlusse an die Einweihung der Neubauten am 9. Dezember 1905. Herausgegeben von der Göttinger Vereinigung zur Förderung der angewandten Physik und Mathematik. Leipzig und Berlin, Druck und Verlag von B. G. Teubner, 1906. 200 pp.

Click for large picture Click for large picture Click for large picture

The separate entrance to the second floor (former private apartment of the Nernst family) has been walled up. Two commemorative tablets have been attached: Walther Nernst 1896 - 1905 (left of entrance); Gustav Tammann 1908 - 1930 (right). (Photographs taken c. 1980. Source: Museum der Göttinger Chemie)

Click for large picture

A third commemorative tablet has been attached 1984-06-26: Arnold Eucken 1929 -1950 (right corner). The building is used by the Institute of Anthropology (Photograph taken c. 1990. Source: Museum der Göttinger Chemie)

pci-old20020623.jpg (103 KB)

Institute of Anthropology and Zoology (Photograph taken 2002-06-23)

pci-old20020623a.jpg (136 KB)

Another view (Photograph taken 2002-06-23)

ipc20001022.jpg (94 KB)

The new (1971) institute located in Göttingen-Weende, Tammannstraße 6 (Photograph taken 2000-10-22)


Walther Nernst homepage


Revised 2005-04-20